Many seniors love their Kindles and the reading experience on the Amazon devices can be great (especially the very long battery life on some models) but many have Android tablets and larger format phones – often called ‘phablets’ so why not read your books on the one device?
Amazon have released this app so you would expect it to be great and it is. Books already purchased on your Kindle are instantly available on your Android tablet when you log in and the amazing ‘Whispersync’ feature where you can for instance, read some of a book in bed on your Kindle then open the app on the train on the way to work and carry on where you left off as the app remembers your place in the book.
Some of the features from the app description:
Read Free Books — Choose from more than one million free e-books such as Pride & Prejudice or Treasure Island.
• Shop for Books — Easily shop for e-books, including bestsellers and new releases. Chose from over 650,000 titles for and 200,000 Kindle-exclusive titles that you won’t find anywhere else, including books by bestselling authors such as Phil Rickman.
• Use the Built-In Dictionary, Google, and Wikipedia — The Kindle app has a built-in dictionary that allows you to look up words instantly while you’re reading your e-books. Simply press and hold a word to view its definition or use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Sync Your E-Books — The Kindle app lets you read the same book across devices and syncs automatically, so you can start reading on one device and pick up where you left off on another device. The app syncs your furthest page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights between Android, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and any of our Kindle devices using our Whispersync technology.
• Sample Books Before You Buy — Read the first chapter of a book for free before you decide to buy.
• Customize Your Reading — Choose your preferred font size, screen brightness, background color, and orientation (portrait or landscape) for reading your books.
A tip to try it out before committing to buy a book is to create and log in to your Amazon account in the app and search for ‘free’ or ‘free books’ and download a couple that appeal to you and try it out in the real world by reading a couple of books on the app.
The only negatives found so far are the size of the app (over 20Mb on my tablet) and I had trouble in the search results pages not being able to navigate or tap on anything but this may is a problem with my device, as the search results area worked fine when I installed the app on my phone.
If you are an avid reader and as always give this app a try and let us know what you think.
Price : FREE
Size : Depends on device
Needs : Depends on device